How To Join
If any of the following statements apply to you, then it is time you joined a union:
- I am not getting fair wages for my industry.
- I haven’t had a raise for a very long time.
- The company is doing really well but employees are not sharing in the profits.
- I feel insecure in my job, even though I am a good worker. There are too many layoffs/firings for no good reason.
- I’m in a dead end job with no chance for advancement.
- I don’t have benefits (pension, health care, sick leave) or the ones I have haven’t improved for years.
- My employer is inconsistent or unfair with breaks and overtime.
- There is too much favouritism in my workplace. New or connected employees are given perks ahead of more experienced ones.
- Managers and coworkers treat some employees with disrespect.
- I’m not sure my workplace is a safe place to be. There are workplace hazards the employer refuses to address.
- My employer keeps refusing reasonable requests for time off.
- My employer keeps moving goals and targets to unrealistic, unattainable levels.
- Promises for wage increases and other improvements have not been kept by my employer
This is why unions matter, without a union, you have no representation or protection.
All workers in Ontario have a right to join a union. That right is protected under both federal and provincial labour law, the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Canada’s Constitution.
Under the Ontario Labour Relations Act you also have the right to propose that your fellow workers become members of a trade union and to participate in forming a union.
The Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union considers these rights fundamental in a democracy and will fight to protect them.
COPE Ontario can help you and your fellow workers get fair wages, benefits and job protection, and help eliminate discrimination, harassment or intimidation in the workplace.
The first step is to contact us by emailing us at email@example.com or calling COPE at
416-703-8515 and speak with Liz Fong at ext. 230 or Trish Qualtrough at ext. 233.
Here’s how we can unionize your workplace:
1. Majority of Workers sign cards in favour of COPE
2. COPE files an application with the Ontario Labour Relations Board
3. Workers vote for membership in COPE within five days of the application
We treat all enquiries with the strictest of confidentiality. Your name, phone number
or e-mail address will be shared with no one, we guarantee that.
PRINT, SIGN AND RETURN YOUR CARD TODAY!